Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Slideshow

This tiny movie has taken up several hours of my life. It is my final project in progress for a photography course I am taking this spring. The music is from "Fever Dream" by Iron and Wine, off the album Our Endless Numbered Days. The quotation from Pema Chodron is incorporated here to emphasize the sort of magic intimacy with the world that sometimes happens when you focus all of your attention on one little moment.










It seems a little sad to me, but I can't tell if that's something inherent in the photos or just the fact that I'm feeling sad today. I think I tend to experience the world as poignant most of the time. (I looked up that word to be sure I was using it right. According to a note in Mirriam Webster, "poignant implies a bittersweet response that combines pity and longing or other contradictory emotions." So, yes...that's the term I was looking for. The note, incidentally, is in the fascinating context of a discussion of the proper distinctions between describing something as "moving," "touching," "poignant," "pathetic," or "affecting." You really do learn something new every day.)

The full quotation--in case you didn't have your glasses on to read the tiny screen, and/or you care to see it punctuated properly: "Mindfulness is loving all the details of our lives, and awareness is the natural thing that happens: life begins to open up, and you realize that you're always standing at the center of the world."

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You've woven these images into something beautiful and sad and moving. It's really, really good.

    ReplyDelete